» Hello and well done!
Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:34 am by PhilG

» Hello everyone....
Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:52 am by TallT

» Just doing my bit
Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:20 am by angeladp

» Hello virtual Norwich!
Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:49 am by angeladp

» Signing in and stepping up - moving away from 'their' money?
Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:11 pm by Freeheart

» Hi all, Tall Tom R here
Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:52 am by PhilG

» G'day folks!
Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:35 pm by PhilG

Hi - Introducing Johnny & Kitty

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hi - Introducing Johnny & Kitty

Post by Johnny on Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:35 am

Hi: Very Happy
I'm Johnny, and my wife is 'Kitty'. You'll probably see us from time to time at some of the meetings with our two whippets (Star & Sugar).

Kitty & I both worked for Bally Shoes for 18 years, and I was a shop steward for 11 years (senior shop steward for about two years). We've been running our own (very) small business for the past 11 years selling collectables online.
Kitty & I are also volunteers with the local Youth Club, on the committee of the Broadland Greyhound & Whippet Club (a club for rehomed ex-racing greyhounds and whippets), and on the local Residents Association. We are also members of the Norwich Classic Vehicle Club and have two old Ford Cortina estates with a combined age of 68, and still roadworthy (and 'carbon neutral' I'm told! LOL).

I am very, very passionate about democracy and accountability, so am naturally very concerned with the undemocratic and unaccountable role the European Union and big banks/businesses and unaccountable QUANGOs have in our lives.

I believe that ALL the present political parties are fundamentally corrupt, for they ALL seem to place their individual careers before the interests of the electorate.
I believe that the party whip system is a major cause of much of the problems we face, and I would love to see a political system where the electorate votes for the individual and not for the party. This will free politicians to vote with their conscience and not along party lines.

As you can probably tell - I am very much a 'free thinker', and respect the fact that others have very different opinions to me, and will often disagree with me. That's fine. Just remember that everyone has a right to their own opinion - that includes you and me.
Smile
I class myself as first and foremost a Human Being and a spiritual person. I am not very academic, having only attained 'O' level standard - so I might find it difficult understanding some of the more intellectual beliefs held by some in this movement! LOL

I believe that all people (and all living beings) should be treated with equal respect, and I do not approve of cruelty or violence towards people or animals. I also reject violence and intimidation, dished out by the many bullies we meet in life - who seem hell-bent on forcing others to adopt their viewpoints, or be slaves to them.

I believe that everyone has a right to think and to believe whatever they want - SO LONG AS their actions do not cause misery and suffering to others.

One of my favourite sayings (by Lord Buddha) is ......... "There's so much suffering in this world, why should we wish to add to it?" That thought often comes to mind when I see and read the news
Very Happy

Johnny

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi - Introducing Johnny & Kitty

Post by TallT on Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:56 am

Welcome guys, good to have you on board, feel free to start or add your thoughts to any discussions and get yourselves down to the haymarket to help with the camp, especially if you can stay over. We have our general assembly on sat at 2pm

TallT
Admin

http://occupynorwich.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnny on Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:17 am

We've been down on each day (today Kitty popped in very briefly to drop off a blanket we picked up in a charity shop).
We will try and make it tomorrow.
Keep up the good work!
Very Happy

Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilG on Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:11 am

Hi and welcome. As the movement grows more and more people will become involved, and they will each bring with them different views and insights. As long as people are constructively engaging with others, I don't think we should worry about this - in fact we should welcome it. It would be awful if everyone was expected to sing from some approved ideological songsheet.

PhilG

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnny on Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:26 am

'Constructively engaging with others' is exactly right. cheers

Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top